Eric on The Road

Journeys into the offbeat, off the beaten path, overlooked and forgotten - by Eric Model

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Passing: Jack Odell, Designer of Matchbox Cars

It doesn't take too long reading this blog to realize that I am a child of the 1950's-60's - a baby boomer.

I don't think of myself as a typical baby boomer. But there are some ways in which I am classically "baby boomer".

One is my reliance on TV as a child (I rarely watch it now). I can still recite the daily schedule of all five New York Stations circa 1965.

Another aspect was my adoration of Matchbox Cars. Double-decker buses, newspaper trucks, station wagons. The whole package. I was into along with my (my Dad's) Lionel train set.

So although I had never heard of Jack Odell his passing still impacted me.

He is one of those anonymous folks who so impacted my formulative years.

Jack Odell's obituray may be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/17/world/europe/17odell.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries&oref=slogin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home