Eric on The Road

Journeys into the offbeat, off the beaten path, overlooked and forgotten - by Eric Model

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Passing: Phil Rizzuto, A New York Yankee Spanning Generations

Phil Rizutto got under my skin.

I really enjoyed Phil Rizzuto.

That captures just some of the many emotions I felt when I heard the news of Scooter's passing at the age of 89.

He represented so many things to so many people.

I know, he was a great player - a real spark plug to Yankee championship teams of the 1940's & 50's. Later he became a popular, if somewhat unorthodox announcer. Finally, he provided a historical bridge from the Bronx Bombers of Gehrig and Ruth to the modern-day Joe Torre led-dynasty.

Oh yes, to my wife he was the guy from The Money Store.

Personally, he represents another passing from my Dad's generation - once so vital now rapidly disappearing .

They both came from that "Greatest Generation" - survived the Depression and won World War II. They both shared the same birth date - September 25, 1917 (Now we hear that Rizzuto fudged so as not to look to young when he first signed with the Yanks. By this version he was born September 25, 1916).

Moreover, Phil Rizzuto brought my Dad & I together.

We watched many a Yankee game over the years. At first we were both Yankee fans. Then I left the reservation after they fired Mel Allen and Red Barber. After that I was not much of a Yankee or Phil Rizzuto fan.

Too homer, too shrill, too many birthday greetings, too many references to canoli. For those from the Midwest, he was a New York version of Harry Carray.
And as I heard it all, I longed for the familiar professionalsim of Mel and the Ole Redhead.

My Dad tended to agree.

But we watched and watched. Rizzuto with Bill White. Rizzuto with Fran Healy. What an entertaining treat. Soft on baseball insight and analysis but full of passion.

We heard the Holy Cows, the Huckleberries, and the Eddie Stanky stories.

He would leave the brodcast booth during the game to beat the traffic across the Bridge. He was terrified of thunder storms. We heard about his wife Cora nad the camera man (Dulio).

It was real. It was human.

I was then a loyal Red Sox fan (today I'm more distant - I watch "The Game" but they all make too much money - I can't relate as I once did). My Dad remained a loyal Yankee fan to the end (July, 1997). In many years when we might be at odds on a variety of issues (not just baseball), watching or hearing Rizzuto with a beer nearby was one of those things that brought father and son together.

You know, it was only after Phil's retirement did I truly appreciate just what he brought to Yankee broadcasts, our New York area sports village, and to my home.

Bigger Yankee stars there were - Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jeter and others. But never was there ever more of a Yankee.

And Phil - many thanks for all the good moments you helped create. Sorry it took so long to truly appreciate your charm and to thank you.



News of Phil Rizzuto's passing:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7120816?MSNHPHMA

NPR' s Robert Siegel had this rememberance:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12785594

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home