Eric on The Road

Journeys into the offbeat, off the beaten path, overlooked and forgotten - by Eric Model

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Perspective on Contemporary Acadian Music in New Brunswick

"A world deprived of music, culture, dance, literature, and paintings would be awful, abominable, and dreadful," says Danny Boudreau, an Acadian singer. "There exists no means of communication more effective than culture to promote a people."

This is even truer for the Acadian community of New Brunswick which now consists of 250,000 people at most. "I am convinced that one in two Acadians sings or earns a livelihood through music. Culture is very deeply rooted in Acadia. One in three homes includes a piano. Partying, singing, and making music come naturally and are passed on from generation to generation."

Danny Boudreau wishes for an image of Acadia that is less folk-oriented and more contemporary. "The two comments I hear most often are: 'Your music is not Acadian' and 'You don't have the Acadian accent!' What I am trying to share through my music is the air we breathe in Acadia. I don't have a fiddle, mine is not a folk-music approach, but I insist that my music is truly Acadian because I breathe the ocean air as do my songs."


http://culture.ca/perspective-pointdevue-e.jsp?data=200508/tcp01100082005e.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home