Eric on The Road

Journeys into the offbeat, off the beaten path, overlooked and forgotten - by Eric Model

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Passing: Don Herbert, ‘Mr. Wizard’

I was never much into science. Hated Biology, hated Chemistry. Stars are pretty but still who knows the difference between the Big Dipper and the Milky Way ?

But somehow when Mr. Wizard came on TV I watched. I was only 3-7 years old, so today it's all but a faint and perhaps distorted memeory. Who knows what he was talking about. But he was such a nice man, and he was so into what he was doing in such a quiet way. It was nice just to be with him. He was one of my TV friends of the 1950's and 60's.

Now it's over 40 years later I read that Mr. Wizard, Don Herbert just passed away. He never did get me into science, but I now realize that he serves as one of those role models. His lesson that I retain is to act with dignity and respect towards all now matter how young or old, and to enjoy what you are doing.

To read about the life of Don Herbert see this obituary from The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/13/arts/13herbert.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries&oref=slogin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home